How to Sell a Car at a Dealership
We have many people from the Hudson area ask us, “How does selling your car to a dealership work?” Most of the time, they want to trade in their old car to help pay for a new one. This is a smart idea, and doing so can save you money on your next vehicle purchase. Or, it’s totally possible to take the offer without buying another vehicle. Learn how trade-in works at Sawyer Chevrolet, Inc., as well as how to sell your car at a dealership from the Sawyer Chevrolet, Inc. finance center.
How Does Selling Your Car to a Dealership Work?
It’s fairly easy to sell your car to a Saugerties dealership. Just do the following:
- Clean Up Your Car: If your car is washed and detailed, and small parts like the windshield wipers or floor mats are replaced, the value of your car will increase. This gets you a better deal at the dealership.
- Write Down the Benefits Of Your Car: Make a list of all of your car’s additional features and accessories. You can also, make a detailed history of its maintenance record. This will increase the value of your vehicle and make it more appealing to dealerships.
- Have Your Car’s Title on Hand: This makes the dealer’s job easier and gets you your offer faster.
- Research Your Car’s Value: Use tools from Cars.com, Kelley Blue Book, or your local dealership to find the trade-in value of your car. You can use this number to negotiate your price or get an approximate value for what the dealer is willing to buy your car for.
- Pick Your Dealership Wisely: If you have a newer, gently used vehicle; most Windham dealerships will buy it regardless of their inventory or the car’s initial condition. However, if you have an older model car then you may find it’s easier to sell it at a used car dealership instead.
What to Expect
Once you prepare your car for sale, let’s answer, “How does selling your car to a dealership work?” below. Typically, the rest of the process will likely go like this:
- Make an Appointment: While you can walk into a dealership and sell your car, it’s best to make an appointment so the dealer knows to expect you and can have the proper documents ready.
- Used Car Manager: Most dealerships will direct you to a used car manager or a salesperson to handle the sale. They’ll collect your information, then run a vehicle history report on your car.
- Inspection: In some cases, the used car manager will inspect your vehicle, or they’ll have it taken to their service center for an inspection of its quality and mechanical condition.
- Consider the Offer: Based on what the dealership offers you, you can accept the offer or go to another dealership to see if you can get a better offer.
Benefits of Selling Your Car
When you sell your vehicle to a dealership, there are a variety of benefits you get to take advantage of. These include things like getting to:
- Save Time & Avoid Hassles: Avoid the hassles of selling your car privately and save time. You won’t have to worry about listing your car online, fielding potential buyers, and inviting strangers to your Saugerties home for test drives.
- Lower Your New Car Price: Using your vehicle as a trade-in allows you to apply your current vehicle’s value towards your new car. This allows you to offset the price of your new vehicle or significantly lower your monthly payments.
- Save on Your Taxes: When you trade in your current vehicle and purchase another vehicle from Sawyer Chevrolet, Inc., you only pay the sales tax on the difference between the trade-in value and the cost of your new car.
You Can Sell Your Car to Sawyer Chevrolet, Inc.!
Save on your next Chevrolet vehicle by selling your car to Sawyer Chevrolet, Inc.! You can learn more about saving on a new car or even learn about good mileage on a used car by reading our car buying tips and tricks. If you still have questions about how to sell a car at a dealership, or want to check out our used SUV inventory, contact us online or visit us in Catskill and we’ll be happy to help!
More from Sawyer Chevrolet, Inc.
The Blazer has made waves in Hudson and Saugerties ever since it was reintroduced to the lineup, but how much is a new Chevy Blazer in 2024? This powerful and versatile SUV starts at $36,795 MSRP*. From there, you’ll have the option to explore several different trim options, each of which has unique appeal. Read…
Sometimes, less is more. You can certainly say that about the small SUV, which combines the function of a sport utility vehicle with the form factor of a compact car. Hudson drivers looking to get the most out of their small SUV should pick the 2024 Chevy Trax. This is an SUV that’s built…
If you’re in the market for a striking pickup that can help you easily tackle tough jobs with ease around Hudson, then Chevy Silverado options like the Silverado 2500HD and Silverado 3500HD deliver impressive capabilities. From the dependability of the base engine to the available Duramax® turbocharged configuration, you’ll appreciate all of the great…